Monday 22 November 2010

Situations, but where am I?

Ok, so we've been given the brief of 'Situations', taken from the situations website work, with curator Claire Doherty.  We have to either take something out of its usual situation and environment and place it somewhere which shows it as something new and different, or situate our work in a new environment outside of the studio, thats the gist I've got from it so far anyway.

Last module, I chose to mix my new love of horitculture in with my art work, and I think my final piece for my assessment was pretty successful and the tutors seemed pretty impressed and happy with it, they even told me to carry on with the horticulture side of things as it could be a start of something brilliant, so this is what I will do.  I want to become 'master of the plants'!  Grow them where they might not usually grow, push them into new and intersting shapes and positions that are unnatural, but make sense to the audience, whether it be humourous or environmentally aware.

I feel pulled towards growing more quick growing and interesting plants as well as looking at the juxtapositions of town and city, urban and rural, done a million times before I know, but maybe I could do it with a new angle?  Through horitculture?

I would really like to use moss (grown from scratch), mushrooms (grown from scratch), bark (taken from trees and used as a base to grow other things) and maybe other urban materials such as street slabs etc.

Whilst researching other artists artwork, I found the website stories from space which is brilliant.  The artist running it, works in collaboration with other artists as well as on his own, taking a light hearted view on looking after our environment and humouring wildlife with his public artworks.  He gave me the first idea of using moss in my work.  I have heard it is simple to grow by making a strange concoction of old moss and beer, and he has had some amazing results

I soon started madly brainstorming, how to get hold of bark, how could I manipulate moss to be a new and exciting idea and work for this project, how could I show juxtapositions of urban ad rural?

More internet research found me Anna Garforth which kind've put me off it all, as she had already done everything I had just brainstormed, including using moss as a wall decoration (she used words and some rough picture outlines) and bark as an art medium.  But one thing that convinced me I could do work like this, but maybe even better, was the fact she had grown the moss somewhere other than the wall, and then cut and stuck it up on the wall, made me think it was a bit 'cheating' from a horticulturalists point of view.  Surely the whole point of having a piece of artwork like this was so it would grow continually, like the work from stories from space.  It was also something I hadn't been able to master with my last project and something I really want to 'master' this time.

The next steps will be to
  • Start growing my own moss from scratch
  • Start growing my mushrooms from spawn
  • Get some feedback and other ideas from tutorials
  • Find myself some natural and man-made materials to grow my work from in wallpaper designs
  • Work out if they will be situation based, or if I can move them around and change their situation
  • Find somewhere to situate them 
Other artists I found along the way

Kevin Smith 
webecoist 

Morten Flyverbom 

Claire Morgan 

No comments:

Post a Comment